This week’s guest, Melissa Townsend is the author of two beautiful books about the Yoga Sutras. Townsend, a long-time yoga student, artist, Sanskrit enthusiast, and psychic, wasn’t always enthusiastic about the sutras. But in the same way that psychic visions come to her, so did the idea to use her art to share the Yoga Sutras. On this episode, I had the opportunity to ask her all about the creative process of her Yoga Sutras art and translations. We’re also joined by Stephanie Snyder, a popular yoga teacher who loves to study and share the sutras.
We have an in-depth conversation about why we all find this work fascinating, talk about their approach to studying the sutras, and explain why the text is so much more than just the meaning of words or interpretations that you read. You might have to listen to the episode to understand, but I promise you’ll be glad you did. It might just change the way you’ve been approaching the study of yoga philosophy.
ALSO: Melissa and Stephanie are doing a free event at Lovestory Yoga on December 14th, 2018. Come by for refreshments, a Yoga Sutras discussion, Melissa’s art, and copies of her books available for purchase. Learn more and register here!
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
REGISTER FOR THIS FREE EVENT:
An Evening With Melissa Townsend & Stephanie Snyder: Yoga Sutras Discussion, Art Showing & Book Release
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. LOLA is a female-founded company offering 100 organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For every purchase, LOLA donates feminine care products to homeless shelters across the U.S. For 40% off all subscriptions, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.
2. Care/of is a monthly subscription vitamin service made from high, quality ingredients personally tailored to your exact needs. Their short quiz asks you about your diet, health goals, and lifestyle choices and uses these answers to create personalized vitamin packs just for you. For 25% off your first month of personalized care/of vitamins, visit takecareof.com and enter promo code YOGALAND.
3. Storyworth makes it easy and fun for loved ones to tell their stories. Simply purchase a subscription for someone you love and each week Storyworth will send them a question about their life. After a year, stories are bound in a beautiful book. For $20 off, visit storyworth.com/yogaland when you subscribe.
4. Away is a new kind of luggage that is designed to be resilient resourceful and essential to the way you travel today. They use high-quality materials at a lower price point than other brands because they sell directly on the Internet. For $20 off a suitcase, visit awaytravel.com/yogaland and use promo code YOGALAND at checkout.
5. Omax3 Ulta-Pure is the purest Omega 3 fatty acid supplement on the market. Omax puts their product through an intense distillation process to remove saturated fats, toxins, and PCPs, so you’re left with a really pure product. Go to tryomax.com/yogaland to get a box of Omax3 Ultra-Pure for free with your first purchase.
6. ModCloth is your go-to to get your closet ready with adorable, fresh pieces. The company celebrates all women, which is why they offer a full range of sizes, from XXS to 4X. To get 15% off your purchase of $100 or more, go to MODCLOTH.com and enter code YOGALAND at checkout.