Today, we’re talking to Cyndi Lee, who was the first Western female yoga teacher to combine Tibetan Buddhism and yoga.
Cyndi and I worked together many times when I was an editor at Yoga Journal and I have so much respect for her. You’ll see why in this candid, down-to-earth interview. Cyndi is is not only inspiring, but she’s a living testament to how practicing yoga and meditation for many years can help you navigate life’s ups and downs with grace.
We talk about:
* Cyndi’s career as a professional dancer in the 1980s–including what it was like working with Cyndi Lauper
* The journey that led Cyndi to open the legendary Om Yoga studio in New York City
* Her recent studies that led her to become a Buddhist chaplain, what that entails, and how that intersects with yoga for her
* Cyndi’s double hip replacement, what she learned from it, and how the healing process is going for her. Plus, she shares what advice she’d give to others who are facing a similar situation.
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. LOLA is a female-founded company offering 100 organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For every purchase, LOLA donates feminine care products to homeless shelters across the U.S. For 40% off all subscriptions, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.
2. Care/of is a monthly subscription vitamin service made from high, quality ingredients personally tailored to your exact needs. Their short quiz asks you about your diet, health goals, and lifestyle choices and uses these answers to create personalized vitamin packs just for you. For 25% off your first month of personalized care/of vitamins, visit takecareof.com and enter promo code YOGALAND.
3. Away is a new kind of luggage that is designed to be resilient, resourceful, and essential to the way you travel today. They use high-quality materials at a lower price point than other brands because they sell directly on the Internet. Try it out for 100 days, and if you don’t love it return it for a full refund. For $20 off a suitcase, visit awaytravel.com/yogaland and use promo code YOGALAND at checkout.
4. Ohmme is a company that makes yoga and activewear clothing for men. The fit and function is phenomenal. Plus, their design and manufacturing process is sustainable since they use many recycled materials. For 20% off your Ohmme order, visit ohmme.com and use promo code YOGALAND20.
5. Storyworth makes it easy and fun for loved ones to tell their stories. Simply purchase a subscription for someone you love–like your father for Father’s Day!–and each week Storyworth will send them a question about their life. After a year, stories are bound in a beautiful book. For $20 off, visit storyworth.com/yogaland when you subscribe.