Most people consider arm balances and inversions challenging poses, but we think they’re worth the effort.
This week, I talk to Jason about his approach to teaching these popular poses, and how he breaks them down to make them more accessible for every student. We also share Jason’s newest mini-course (it’s free!), which goes deep into one of the most foundational arm balances, Bakasana (also known as Crane Pose or Crow Pose).
We talk about:
* Why practice arm balances and inversions in the first place?
* Crane Pose vs. Crow Pose – What’s the difference?
* The two most important poses to practice if you want to learn Bakasana
* The role and movement of the shoulder blades in straight-arm Bakasana and a pose to practice to begin to get the action down
* Why Jason thinks core strength might not be THE most important thing to focus on when learning arm balances (even though he concedes that it is important)
* BONUS: Learn about Andrea’s new therapeutic pumpkin carving practice.
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. It’s been about a year since Sunbasket has been a sponsor of Yogaland. Each week, I get a Sunbasket box delivered to my door and I still get excited! The recipes are creative and delicious with organic produce and clean ingredients. I do the Paleo plan but there are many to choose from — Vegetarian, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Quick & Easy, & Mediterranean, to name just a few. Go to sunbasket.com/yogaland to get $35 off your first order.
2. I’m so delighted to have Fabletics as a sponsor! Their clothes fit so well — no, I do not feel like I am stuffing myself into a sausage casing. And the styles are seriously SO. CUTE. Plus, you literally cannot be their price point anywhere. As a special offer to Yogaland listeners, get TWO PAIRS OF LEGGINGS FOR $24. Yep, you read that correctly. Go to fabletics.com/yogaland and enter promo code YOGALAND at checkout.