Essential Sequence: Quick Hip Openers

This sequence focuses on stretching the muscles around the whole circumference of the hip joint. It’s great for relieving tension that can accumulate from long periods of sitting or standing and it’s also incredibly grounding. I like to do it after traveling or just at the end of a long, intense day. Spend 5-10 breaths in each pose (or longer if you’d like) and do both sides before moving to the next pose.

You’ll notice that the sequence ends with Lotus Pose. Lotus is a beautiful pose and one that many of us pine for. But I promise you that doing Lotus does not make you a better person or a better yogi and, if you force your way into the pose, you will feel physically terrible afterward. Surely this is not your goal after asana practice! My point is, if you are naturally very open or are familiar with the pose, feel free to finish with Lotus. If not, then it’s just as valuable to end in Ardha Padmasana (Half Lotus) or with your legs crossed in Sukhasana (Easy Pose) and your attention drawn inward. (And for more hip opening, here’s a full sequence that specifically focuses on building up to Lotus.)

Yoga for Hips Sequence

quick hip opening yoga sequence | Yoga for Hips Sequence | Jason Crandell Vinyasa Yoga Method

{illustrations by MCKIBILLO}

16 Comments

1. Thanks a lot

• You’re welcome, Emilia

2. I like your pictures thank you

• Thanks, Mauricio

3. Appreciate you sharing your comprehensive knowledge. Many thanks.

• Thanks, Pat

4. hi, good Morning from switzerland

I can’t download your poster.the bottom doesn’t work…

Thanks

Greetings from zürich

• Hi Andrea,
      I just tested it and it’s still working on my end. Perhaps you need to update your PDF reader software? You could also send an email through our contact form on the web site and we could email it to you directly!
      Best,
      Andrea

5. Hi jason. Illustrations are very informative and helful. I refer these while practicing myself. I have even suggested your page and illustrations to few other practisioner.

Like hip opener illustrations, please add stretches to make twisiting easy for beginners like for eg in standing beginners find difficulties in parivrtta trikonasana & parivrtta parsvakonasana and in sitting ardha matysendrasana.

• Thanks for your thoughts, Nimisha. I’m currently working on twisting piece that I’ll publish in the next week or two!

6. dear Mr Jason,
    thanks for your share.
    i learnt very much from your share.
    warm regards,

7. Thanks for the sequence! I learned the low lunge quad stretch from your Yogaglo classes long ago and it´s one of my favourites since then 🙂

• Thanks, Niki!

8. Thank you so much for the free pdf’s and easy to follow step by step explanations. I am so glad to find these 🙂

• You’re welcome, Kelly!

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Privacy Preference Center