I love the idea of starting of the New Year with healthy, nourishing routines. Over the past few years, I’ve done that with my skincare routine and I find it to be a great form of self care. When you think of self care, you don’t think of smearing petroleum, endocrine disruptors or other toxic chemicals on your face, right?
In the process of researching the products I use, I’ve learned that there is basically no federal regulation on our personal care products (or on most industrial chemicals in the U.S.)
That was my inspiration behind this episode and I’m so excited to share it with you. This week on the podcast I speak to Abby Jean and Rachel Pachivas — two women from AnnMarie Skincare and they answer all of my questions (and more) including:
• Do products made with botanicals really work as well as our familiar “tried and true” formulations?
• How to start purging your skincare products
• Red flag ingredients too look for
• Nutrient-rich ingredients to look for
• How you know you’re getting a truly organic product (since there are FDA loopholes)
• Web sites and certifications to help you navigate which products are safe, healthy, and don’t test on animals
• Where are we with trying to improve FDA regulations?
Some of Andrea’s Favorite Beauty Brands
Please note that you need to check each and every product within a brand to ensure that it is safe. The safety of different products can vary widely — especially with sunscreens! If you have trouble finding these brands in your area, I recommend Credo Beauty.
Articles Worth Reading
Clean Beauty — and Why It’s Important
Exposure to chemicals dangerous to hormone function burdens Americans with hundreds of billions in disease costs
Think Those Chemicals Have Been Tested?
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUTOUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. Did you know that you can save money on your life insurance just because you do yoga? Health IQ is an insurance company that helps yogis get lower rates on their life insurance. To see if you qualify, get your free quote today at healthiq.com/yogaland or mention the promo code YOGALAND when you talk to a Health IQ agent.
2. To my women listeners out there – have you tried Lola yet? LOLA is a female-founded company offering organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For 60% off your first order, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND when you subscribe.