This week, Coral Brown offers her take on the psychodynamics of the teacher-student relationship in yoga. Coral is both a respected Prana Vinyasa yoga teacher and licensed mental health counselor with great insight into this topic.
There are obviously major differences in the therapist/patient relationship vs. the yoga teacher/student relationship. Yet, many of the same psychodynamics arise. Coral shares how transference, countertransference, unmet needs and behaviors all make their way into the yoga room, whether we’re aware of them or not.
She also shares:
*Her thoughts on why the teacher/student model inherently sets up a power differential and what we can do about it
*How therapists are trained and prepared to handle the dynamics that arise within the working relationship
*How she brings principles from her therapy training to her yoga teacher trainees
* Her process for using the chakra system as a roadmap for psychological self-discovery
*The role of charisma in elevating a teacher’s status
*Coral’s approach to manual adjustments and how they’ve changed through the years + how she’s changed her teaching style to empower her students to trust their own intuition rather than look just to her for guidance
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
Coral’s Online Immersion — Chakras: The Psychology of Yoga
Episode 94: Live with Jason-All About Yoga Adjustments
Episode 93: Ending Sexual Abuse in the Yoga Community — A Conversation with Mary Taylor and Judith Hanson Lasater
Episode 19: Coral Brown — Geeky Fun With Hindu Deities
WRITE A REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUTOUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. Mahabis sell incredibly comfortable, Scandinavian-inspired slippers with unique detachable soles. The detachable soles clip on and off easily, so you can even wear your slippers outdoors, or to and from your yoga class! Head to mahabis.com to buy your pair today. Use code YOGALAND for 10% off and free shipping worldwide.
2. RxBar are protein bars made from 100% whole foods. That means RxBars do not contain artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fillers. They also do not contain added sugar. They’re also delicious! For 25% off your first order, visit RXBAR.com/yogaland and enter the promo code YOGALAND at checkout.
3. Freshly is the easiest and most convenient way to eat healthy no matter what life throws your way. Freshly’s chef create delicious gluten-free meals delivered fresh to your door. Every single meal comes with a detailed overview of each ingredient in the meal. Get $25 off your first order of 6 fresh-cooked dinners by going to freshly.com/yogaland
4. To my women listeners out there – have you tried Lola yet? LOLA is a female-founded company offering organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For 40% off your first order, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.