Since Jason so often emphasizes the importance of building strength — especially along the posterior chain (back side) of the body, I get asked all the time, “What does Jason think about Yin yoga?” For the Season 1 Finale, we decided to take on this topic. Yin is a popular style of yoga that emphasizes long, passive holds of various (mostly floor-based) poses.
In that light, Jason and I talk about:
* What happens to muscles when you stretch them passively for more than 60 seconds
* Why it’s never a good idea to stretch ligaments
* Who might be a good fit for a regular Yin practice and who should be more cautious
* Why it’s important to include strength building practices, especially for the posterior chain, if you’re going to regularly practice passive stretching
* The most important type of strength for injury prevention, and some examples of how to do it
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. LOLA is a female-founded company offering 100 organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For every purchase, LOLA donates feminine care products to homeless shelters across the U.S. For 40% off all subscriptions, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.
2. If you’re like me and you wear your gym or yoga clothes 6 or 7 days a week, you want to look put together. My life has changed since Fabletics became a sponsor of the podcast. Their styles are super adorable and affordable. Get two pairs of leggings for $24 when you sign up to be a VIP. Go to fabletics.com/YOGALAND to take advantage of this deal, get exclusive discounts, and more.
3. Warby Parker offers boutique glasses at a revolutionary price. Glasses start at $95, including prescription lenses. Lens options include anti-glare, anti-scratch coatings, and even blue light filtering coatings. Download the Warby Parker app on your iPhoneX to try on glasses virtually. Or, get 5 pairs shipped directly to you so you can try them on in person with the In-Home Try On Kit. To order your free in-home try on kit, go to WarbyParker.com/Yogaland.