It probably won’t come as a surprise to anyone reading this that sometimes male yogis can feel like the odd man out in yoga classes that are mostly filled with women. (Even Jason, who’s been teaching yoga for 20 years, admits to feeling more comfortable in a gym setting than the yoga studio.)
So, we decided to give male listeners some TLC this week by answering their questions. While we focus on yoga for men in this episode, it has tons of insights for women who want to relate to the men in their classes and for teachers who want to help their male students.
Besides, whatever your gender, we’ve all struggled with feeling like the only person in class who can’t do something, right?
We talk about:
* What it’s like to be a male in a majority female yoga class and some good news for men who feel uncomfortable — there are more and more men finding their way into yoga studios
* How to handle the awkwardness and frustration associated with being the tightest person in a yoga class (which is something that is not just relevant to men, by the way!)
* Modifications for tight shoulders in poses where you interlace the fingers behind the back
* How to apply lessons from strength training to the yoga practice
* Tips for yoga teachers who want to help people who are really struggling with poses
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
WRITE A REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUTOUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. RxBar are protein bars made from 100% whole foods. That means RxBars do not contain artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fillers. They also do not contain added sugar. They’re also delicious! For 25% off your first order, visit RXBAR.com/yogaland and enter the promo code YOGALAND at checkout.
2. Freshly is the easiest and most convenient way to eat healthy no matter what life throws your way. Freshly’s chef create delicious gluten-free meals delivered fresh to your door. Every single meal comes with a detailed overview of each ingredient in the meal. Get $25 off your first order of 6 fresh-cooked dinners by going to freshly.com/yogaland
3. To my women listeners out there – have you tried Lola yet? LOLA is a female-founded company offering organic cotton tampons, pads, and liners. For 40% off your first order, visit mylola.com and enter the code YOGALAND40 when you subscribe.
4. Molekule is a new air purification experience — unobtrusive, portable, and 100% effective. Molekule’s PECO technology goes beyond HEPA filtration to not just capture, but completely destroy the full spectrum of indoor air pollutants, including those 1000x smaller than a HEPA filter can trap. For $75 off your first order, visit MOLEKULE.com and enter code YOGALAND at checkout.