Historically, during times of political and cultural strife, people become more interested in self-care. That means that right now, self-care is an incredibly important and popular topic (to the tune of 9 million hashtags on Instagram!). Self-care means different things to different people. It’s not all bubble baths and mani/pedis (although, there’s certainly nothing wrong with those!)
I think of yoga as a radical form of self-care because yoga builds self-awareness — of your unique constitution, your needs, your strengths, and the parts of you that require extra attention and shoring up. That’s why I decided to focus on self-care for this episode. It’s a live episode recorded at the prAna store in San Francisco, with yoga teacher and astrologer Susannah Freedman and nurse practitioner Caitlin Hildebrand.
We talk about:
* How remembering one’s purpose can be a motivation for self-care
* Teaching yoga as a form of self-care
* What yoga philosophy says about self-care and how we can apply that to modern life
* The line between self-care and self-obsession/narcissism
RECOMMENDED AND RELATED LINKS
WRITE A YOGA PODCAST REVIEW
If you like the podcast, please leave a review or rating on iTunes! It makes it easier for others to find the podcast. If you don’t know how to leave a review, here are some step by step instructions. Woohoo! So easy!
SHOUT-OUT TO OUR SPONSORS
1. It’s been about a year since Sunbasket has been a sponsor of Yogaland. Each week, I get a Sunbasket box delivered to my door and I still get excited! The recipes are creative and delicious with organic produce and clean ingredients. I do the Paleo plan but there are many to choose from — Vegetarian, Vegan, Lean & Clean, Quick & Easy, & Mediterranean, to name just a few. Go to sunbasket.com/yogaland to get $35 off your first order.
2. I’m so delighted to have Fabletics as a sponsor! Their clothes fit so well — no, I do not feel like I am stuffing myself into a sausage casing. And the styles are seriously SO. CUTE. Plus, you literally cannot be their price point anywhere. As a special offer to Yogaland listeners, get TWO PAIRS OF LEGGINGS FOR $24. Yep, you read that correctly. Go to fabletics.com/yogaland and enter promo code YOGALAND at checkout.
3. Follain is a clean beauty retailer that believes that no one should have to compromise their health for beauty. They are uncompromising — some might say relentless — in the quest to find the best products. I have their Clean Essentials Kit and I love it — I’ve been using it while we travel and my very sensitive skin is happy and hydrated. You can try the Clean Essentials Kit today for $22 (that’s over 50% off!). Go to follain.com/yogaland to get four everyday, non-toxic skin essentials!
4. Instead of buying things new, Poshmark allows you to shop from millions of closets across America. When you download the Poshmark app, you’ll find clothes for women, men, and children. I found kids brands like Circo & Gap, and my own favorite brands like Anthropologie & Mother. Yogaland listeners get $5 off your first purchase! Just enter the invite code: YOGALAND when you sign up. That’s invite code: YOGALAND